Monday, October 18, 2010

Egg and Salmon Sushi

If you know me well enough, then you know that I love to cook Japanese style foods and enjoy making sushi because it's so easy.  Well, last night that's what I did; I made some tamago nigiri (sweet omelet on a rice ball) and yakisakemaki (grilled salmon roll).

Sushi rice

There are two ways to make sushi rice the traditional way and the lazy way.  They both work btw.  I did the easy way.  

First I take about 1½ cups of short grain white rice and about 2 cups water.  First I wash the rice and drain the water about 4 times or until the water runs clear.


Then I simply cook it in a rice cooker with about 1½ tsp rice vinegar, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar.  Once all the water is cooked out I immediately take it out of the rice cooker and place it covered to sit until the water is absorbed.

Once the rice is ready you have to shape it into small rice balls by making a small nigiri about the size of the palm of your hand.  It often helps to coat your hands with a bit of water so the rice doesn't stick to them.  also you will need a thin strip of nori to keep the tamago (sweet omelet) piece in place.

To cook the tamago you will want to take an egg and beat it.  Then add in some water, about ¼ tsp salt, ½ tsp sugar, and 1 tsp water.  The oil a non-stick or seasoned pan, preferably square, and heat it up to medium to medium-low. and let it slowly cook all the way through.  Once it is cooked, then start rolling it up into about ½-1 inch width into a roll.  Now that it is a rolled up omelet, cut it into 3-4 pieces and place it on top of a nigiri and secure it with a thin strip of nori

Yaki Sake Maki
Basically you can make this salmon several ways.  You can do it like unagi (freshwater eel) where you dry it and soak it in and baste it with a mixture of soy  sauce, mirin, sake, sugar, and salt and grill it on sticks whilst cut thinly.  or you can use a mixture of char siu, hoisen sauce, soy sauce, ginger, soy sauce, sugar and salt.  And if you want you can also pan-fry it.  

What I did was mix some ketchup, sriracha chili garlic sauce, soy, 5 spice, garlic, sugar, char siu, and hoisen.  Then I cut and squeezed the salmon dry in a paper towel and coated them.  Then I fried them.  Lastly I spread rice on a full sheet of nori except for a half inch which I dotted with rice.  I spread toasted sesame in a line on the rice towards the part near me and placed the pieces of salmon down and rolled up the maki.  That's it. 

Here is a pic of it. It was yummmy!!!


That's about it y'all!!! I had a previous blog post showing you more of what to do with sushi...instructions and what not!

Love,
Kyle!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment