Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Clam Chowder

Hey guys now that school's out for winter break, I have time to get some blogging in. Tonight, to celebrate not having class and being able to eat and cook good food, I decided to make some yummy seafood.  And what's better than scallops? (apart from lobster) It probably didn't hurt my decision that a guy on travel channel was eating clam chowder today!  So here goes! (BTW, I totally recommend this recipe)

Kyle's Clam Chowder


½ pound small bay scallops
3 pieces fresh ham sliced or 6 pieces bacon crumbled
1 clove garlic crushed
1 potato Cubed
½ onion chopped
1 small rib of celery chopped
½ tsp herb and spice mix
¼ tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp bacon grease or drippings from the bacon
¾ cup heavy whipping cream
¾ cup milk
1 Tbsp clam juice
1 Tbsp flour
½-1 tsp salt

Herb and Spice mixture:
1 tsp parsley flakes
1 tsp Turkish oregano
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp rosemary
½ tsp basil
½ tsp dill
½ tsp marjoram
½ tsp tarragon
Pinch of nutmeg
Pinch of allspice

Once you prep the spice mix keep it in an older spice container or such. 

Basically I make mine different in that I brown the stuff before ever so slightly before I add in the liquid.  I first added in the herb and spice mix, bacon grease, garlic and ham.  I fry it up a bit and then add in the onion, celery, and potato.  Once it has fried, I mix together in another bowl (while it's still cold) the liquids and the flour and stir it up until all the lumps are gone. I Next I add it in along with the bay scallops and slow-cook it on medium to medium-low until the potatoes are soft and cooked through. 

Serve it hot with bread or oyster crackers and a glass of gingerale! :D


Enjoy Guys! 
¡Kyle S!

No comments:

Post a Comment