Thursday, October 21, 2010

Simon and Garfunkle Bread

There is a funny story behind this bread. When I was really young, like 6th grade I started to get interested in bread making. Of course I didn't want to use a recipe, but my mom insisted. I got out a taste of home cookbook, and found a recipe for Italian Herb Bread. It was pretty good, but I wanted to make my OWN bread recipe. So about a week passed and for some reason I was listening to the song by Simon and Garfunkle Scarborough Fair.

From there I thought it would be a good idea to make bread based on the song using Parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme.  I was SO proud of myself, that I didn't care that my bread barely rose and was like a giant amorphous maelstrom reeking of sage. Plus my knowledge was barely developed back then, very limited.

But today I decided to revisit that good old recipe and try it again!  This time, with MUCH more success.  So without further adieu, Simon and Garfunkle Bread.

Simon and Garfunkle Bread


2 Cups bread flour
1 Tbsp oil
½ - ¼ tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
¼ tsp powdered parsley
¼ tsp powdered sage
¼ tsp powdered rosemary
¼ tsp powdered thyme
½ Tbsp Yeast
¾ cup scorched milk

First you need to take your milk and scorch it.  Heat it up in a pot or pan until it boils and cook it for about 1 minute.  Take it off and cover it until it cools.  This assures that the microorganisms in the milk won't keep the dough from rising. 

Now you need to pulverize the herbs if they are not already powders.  I usually use a mortar and pestle and then pass them through a fine sieve.  You can do them all at once if you'd like and then just add in 1 tsp of the herbs mixed.

Then you mix your dough up.  Make sure all the ingredients are mixed well and then knead the dough for about 5 minutes or until the dough is smooth and doesn't tear easily (very elastic).  

Cover the bread with a damp towel and let it rise for 30 minutes. Once it has risen roll out onto the table and knead about 1 minute. and place it on a piece of parchment paper.

Cover and let rise in a warm place again for about 1-1½ Hours and make sure the TOWEL DOESN'T STICK!!! You can keep checking how wet it is or cover the top of the bread with flour, but it's important.

Now heat the oven to 350F and cook the bread for 15 minutes.  Once you hit the 15 min mark, turn the heat up to 425F and let the outside barely crisp and brown for 5 minutes more.


Take it out and enjoy!!

This recipe that I remade holds a special place in my heart because it was my first conscious, official recipe I ever made!! ^_^  I enjoy it and hope you do too!!

Sincerely,
Kyle!

No comments:

Post a Comment