Friday, September 24, 2010

Tortillas Hechas a Mano

Oh man...it's been forever since I've posted a blog post it seems. I've been dealing with all sorts of random crap. I have fallen into the habit of not taking down my recipes like before, but have pulled my mental resources to get back into the habit of documenting recipes.

The other night I wanted Mexican (A rare occasion for me), so I decided on the easiest thing, tortillas.  When I went to Guatemala I learned a thing or two about making Mesoamericano food because these people were in the middle of nowhere in Guatemala.  They also had very lightly flavored star anise bread...but that's another blog post.

Aaaaaaaaaanywho...on to the blogpost.

Hand-made tortillas
Tortillas Hechas a Mano


2 Cups flour
2 Tbsp Lard (preferably fresh pork lard skimmed from the top of stock [tastes better])
½ tsp salt
8 Tbsp water

Basically it's a simple flat bread.  So first like any flour fat combo bread stuff, cut the lard into the flour and salt.  I tend to use lard I skim off the top of pork stock that I make from pork ribs that I've cooked for like 5 hours in a boiling pot. After the lard is cut in slowly add in the water and mix the solution until it is a dough ball.


Now knead the dough for about 5 minutes of until it is a very smooth dough ball and then cut it into 4-8 pieces.


Now all you need to do is roll the dough pieces out into perfect circles using a rolling pin, or if you want to be traditional you can use your hands to shape them like they do traditionally in America. If you do use your hands they will be a lot thicker than if you use a rolling pin.


Now you need to heat up a large flat non-stick pan on the oven and grease it.  I usually start at medium high heat and them reduce it to medium.


Now all you need to do once it is flat enough you can move it over to the pan and start cooking it.


Now all you have to do is cook the tortilla until it barely browns in spots on one side and is almost cooked all the way through.


Now flip it over and cook it on the other side to about the same.


Now all you take it off and lightly brush each side with water and cover it with a moist paper towel.


That's about it! That's how you make tortillas yo!

Cya!
KYLE!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment