Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Oh General My General...Tso

I had a crap night last night...I got like 1/2 an hour of sleep and had an 8am class...which...I actually enjoyed. But, Nonetheless I was tired as crap by about 12pm, so I fell asleep on the unimaginably comfortable lazyboyish couch for like 5 hours....story of my life. But when I woke up I felt like making General Tso Chicken for some reason...and usually I'm nonchalant about making stuff and writing recipes, but since I've tried like 3 times when I've made this recipe, I researched several cooks on youtube and looked up recipes and ingredients and did it to the T.

So Without further adieu:

General Tso Chicken

Sauce

1 tsp chicken boullion
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tbsp Potato/Tapioca Starch
¼ cup water
1 Tbsp Hoisen
2 Tbsp Rice or Rice Wine Vinegar or citric acid in sugar water
1 Tbsp Sesame Oil

Pre-Chicken Sautee:
2 Thin Green onions cut into 1 inch pieces
2 small knobs of ginger peeled and minced (about 2cmx2cmx1cm)
3 cloves of garlic (Inside shoot removed) minced

Batter:
6 Tbsp Corn Starch
1 Tbsp rice flour
1 Tbsp Wheat flour (Can use G. Rice flour too if wanted)
1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
½ tsp baking powder or soda
1 Egg

Other:
4 – 12 Dried Spicy Chilis for oil depending on how spicy you want (can pre-soak if desired)
4 uncooked chicken tenders cut into chunks
Oil for frying and 1 Tbsp for stirfry
Sesame seeds for garnish
White rice for presenting

First you need to prep. Defrost the chicken tenders. Go ahead and mix up all the sauce ingredients and set aside in a bowl. Next prep the ginger, garlic, and green onions. Mince up the garlic and ginger and then cut the green onions into 1 inch-long. Next mix up the batter and set aside...mix well to remove any lumps. Cut up the chicken, dry it off with a paper towel, and put it in the batter. Set aside.


Chop off the tops of the chilies.


 Roll them to remove the seeds, shake them out.


Fry the chicken until cooked all the way through and golden brown and crispy. Drain on a rack lined with a paper towel.


Put a tablespoon of oil in the wok and heat up to high. Add in the peppers and fry until aromatic.


Next put in the ginger, garlic, and green onions. Fry for like 30 seconds or until barely browned.


Add in the sauce and stir...it will immediately thicken if the wok is hot enough.


Next add in the chicken and take it off the heat. Stir and coat. Serve with rice or lo mein.



And now my back hurts like a shibiftabanlerhjbrs...It has hurt for two days...and plus I was going to catch up with Rose...because...I was at WaHo...but Waffle House was dead yo...so I hung out and then went home to cook some Turkish Delight.

And I made a recipe!

Lemon Rose Turkish delight

3 Tbsp Corn Starch
1 Tbsp Tapioca Starch
1 Tbsp Ghee or Clarified butter
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
½ cup sugar
Water to dissolve the sugar and starch
¼ tsp coriander or cardamom depending on tastes

Flavors
¼-1/8 tsp rose water
½ tsp lemon juice concentrate
Chopped Pistachios (Optional)

First you have to cook the starch in a nonstick wok until it starts to cook and is cooked all the way through (clear) for all but 1/4th of it. Then you take it off the heat and add in lemon coriander and ghee and stir really well until they are combined in. Next heat it constantly stirring until it changes into a ball-like shape that is less sticky and is like soft taffy that can be folded over itself with pressure. Take it off and add in the flavors and mix in well...be careful not to heat it up too much because you want to keep in the flavors.

Stage 1:


Stage 2:


Finished Turkish Delight:

Pour into a greased or starched bowl and let chill in the fridge for about 1-2 hours or until congealed. Take out and cut into squares. Roll in corn starch (and powdered sugar if you want).

Well....I'm spent...Night night...

Sincerely,
Yo' Mama

2 comments:

  1. Every part of this looks AMAZING! I'm so glad you started this. And I LOVE the step-by-step photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S.
    I am now one of your "followers". Heh. Just don't post any recipes for Kool Aid. ;)

    ReplyDelete